Monday, June 23, 2008

On the lookout for a rainbow

I think every parent wants to be able to give their child(ren) so much. Most things they ask for at this age really aren't too difficult to provide: the ice water, milk, a snack, lay by them at night, read to them, etc. However, sometimes things become a little more difficult. Nathaniel is my example right now. He wants so badly to see a rainbow. Every time it rains, he asks me if there will be a rainbow. So we talk about the conditions necessary for one, but he still hopes for one every time. Making one with the hose in the sunlight just doesn't cut it - he wants the real deal. It made me start to think about how few I've actually seen in the sky & I can't even recall the last one I saw spanning across the sky. Yesterday it was raining and the sun came out right after the rain, but not enough to give us a rainbow. Nevertheless, we had the discussion about how a rainbow is visible, etc., and he again, said, "Mom, but I really really want to see a rainbow." I give him hope for another rain shower, then I thought about how sweet he is and how rainbows are such gentle, beautiful, and special creations...I guess I actually see my own right in front of me each and every day. My cup runneth over.

No comments: