Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day of Major Milestones

Today I thought about and enjoyed the fact that each child hit a milestone. I would call that a great day! First, all three boys had dentist appointments. This was Jacob's first appointment. He is typically pretty brave and independent, but as his big brothers sat and tried to avoid their turn in the exam chair, Jacob proudly and maturely left the area where I was to sit in a chair in the next room with the hygienist who would clean his teeth as he sat there & didn't move a muscle. I was very proud of him. I couldn't believe how well he did.

Then, after we came home, the big boys decided they wanted their training wheels off their bikes. Not hard to guess where this is going...they both accomplished riding with no training wheels today! I was so proud of them. At first I think they had quite a bit of doubt, but they worked on it all afternoon and have pretty much mastered it. Leyton is probably the best at it right now as Nathaniel was a bit more tired & lost interest a little easier. But, they both did it and did an awesome job. After dinner, we went around the block, even. I was so excited for them that they did so well. Leyton even managed several turns, bumps in the road, and fairly steep hills for the first day. He seemed so proud. Nathaniel did great too, but I think another day or two & he'll really be even better. He was getting a bit frustrated when he'd stop peddling in the midst of riding (without enough energy going to coast) - he'd fall over, as expected, but really didn't like that! It was cute. That's always a big day, isn't it? Seeing them ride off on their own and appreciating all the pride they show and the pride I have in being a small part of it. It is always so exciting being a part of their accomplishments.

And my little Leah. She is on the go for sure. She was in the basement and decided it was time for her first complete trip up the stairs on her own. She'd crawled up a few steps lately, but today was the first time she made it up all of them. She was so steady & happy. She didn't stumble or falter a bit, but just climbed & smiled the whole way. I stood behind her & she had the biggest grin when she got to the top. Even more cute was that her brothers were there at the top smiling at her & cheering her on. Too cute. This week she's also been starting to stand for brief moments on her own. No rush, Leah, I don't need her to walk too soon. I just enjoy her being little. Each stage is so neat.

No comments: