Friday, December 5, 2008

Funky Mama, Live!

Well, I guess I should have known such a plan would backfire on me! On Wednesday, Funky Mama was singing at a museum while the big boys were at preschool. I thought it would be a good opportunity to do something fun with Jacob and Leah on their own. So, I thought this would be a great venue, 10am, perfect timing before picking up the boys from school.

We went to the show and had a great time. Afterwards, we actually went up to say hi to her (it was really our first time to see her on her own versus at a festival or something). Anyway, very interestingly, we were waiting to buy a CD and she looked at us and said, "Oh, I almost didn't recognize you guys without all of your 'Jim gear.'" She was referring to the big boys, the Hawaiian shirts, the guitars, etc., that accompany us to every Jim Cosgrove show we go to. It actually caught me off guard as I didn't know she'd recognize us anyway, and especially without the Jim-fanatic sons of ours. Although, Jacob is a big fan as well, but hasn't come out of his shell quite as much yet to where he stands in the crowd & plays guitar the whole time. Anyway, it was cute and nice of her to mention that she recognized us.

I heard her mentioning which CD to get to another mom, based on the kids' ages. So at our turn, I said, "So, for age 2, you think this one would be best?" And her reply, "Well, I say that, however for the experienced music listeners in your household, I'd go with this other one." It was pretty funny. I am sure that we'll be at many more of her shows. I ended up buying two CDs: Grandma's House and Moo Juice and they are both great - I really actually enjoy listening to them, too!

Anyway, so for the backfire part...the CD's were meant to be gifts, but Jacob would not release "Grandma's House" from his grip, so I told him it was an early birthday gift from Grandma. We then went to pick up Leyton and Nathaniel. They immediately saw Jacob holding the CD...uh oh...the questions (screaming) began and before we made it to the car, we literally had tears on both their faces that they missed the big event. Wow, I didn't know it would be that bad, but maybe I should have known. They now insist that I need to take them (without Jacob and Leah) to see Funky Mama for their special trip. They pretty much screamed all the way home and after we were home, it took most of the afternoon to help them accept that things were going to be ok and they would get to hear the music and we would all be happy. Whew, what a day!

No comments: