What a crazy few weeks! I've been on my own during the day for a little bit now...this is my 3rd week. Although, I did have some help last week as we (the kids & I - Patrick stayed home to work & do some home projects) went to Grandma Donna & Grandpa Jerry's for part of last week for the good ol' fair (a whole other topic - more on that & pics later). And now, we're about at mid-August!
The big boys, unbelievably, start kindergarten next week. They had previously been enrolled for 1/2-day, but with the move, they're now in full-day as that's the only option where they'll be in school. I am starting to be a bit nervous about getting all of their things ready. You know, school supply lists have become much more detailed than I remember. Examples...they each need 14 glue sticks - really, 14? Oh well. And, specific brands of paints and scissors, specific numbers of specific colors of folders, and pencils that I've never heard of. Oh well, I know it's just little details and they have a planned worked out for everything, but I've shopped twice now and have less than half of what I need. I have located some products, though, so I think one more trip to Target and then a trip to The Supply Closet, and I think I'll be in good shape - too bad they aren't all open 24 hrs...shopping trips are hard to come by these days. I do have their school uniforms taken care of, though. Pants are in the house, shirts just ordered & ready to be picked up at the store, and the shorts I ordered last night and will be shipped to me. That's a relief and some pretty good deals, too. Nothing like the excitement of navy blue pants/shorts and light blue shirts! We're excited for them. I'm sure next week I'll really be having an emotional complex. Ha, just wait a couple more weeks until Jacob starts preschool!
Oh yes, and then my Jacob going to preschool. I feel good about my decision to enroll him at a preschool very close to our house. I know it will help with logistics and the more people I talk to, the more good things I've heard about the program...even better!
It really is hard to believe these changes are about to happen. I know they'll do great, but I know I'm going to really miss them. Mom & Patrick's Mom have been very encouraging, though, in saying things like: they're ready, they'll do great & have lots of fun, you'll have some special time with the younger three (younger 2 when Jacob is also at school), etc., etc. I'm sure that may all be true, but I feel like for Leyton & Nathaniel, it's the start of such a new stage in their lives...they'll just never be home with me every day any more. And Jacob, I know 3 year old preschool really isn't anything rocket science oriented, but as much as he chases after those big brothers and is now truly a middle child, I'm really hoping he enjoys preschool mostly as his own new thing to do and enjoy...his friends to make, his projects to do, his accomplishments to be proud of that are unique to him. He really is a sweet boy and I have to remember that he's in a bit of challenging family position; I look forward to seeing the proud smile on his face as he begins his new thing. PLEASE, Lord, don't let time go too quickly! I know one thing Grandma Sally has said many times about raising her six children, who for the most part, were pretty close in age as well, really sticks with me: "The hardest part of raising the six was that once one left the house, it was one after another and soon they were all grown." I better stop before I start thinking of Leah or Anne even starting school! I want to enjoy the time and I know and see every day how they just aren't little for very long!
No comments:
Post a Comment