Sunday, October 19, 2008

Family Trip to the Pumpkin Patch

We enjoyed a family trip to the Pumpkin Patch this weekend & tried out a new one in Lawrence: Schaake's Pumpkin Patch. We had a wonderful time. It was sunny and about 75 degrees, with a good breeze. This pumpkin patch was a very nice size with plenty of activities & a bonus of FREE admission for the whole family. Jacob wasn't in the mood for a hayride, so I took Leyton, Nathaniel, and Leah on the hayride out to the pumpkin patch. Leyton & Nathaniel picked the biggest pumpkins we could handle without much help to carry them. Leah got a small cute one. Somehow we managed without a stroller or baby carrier to get myself, three kids, and three pumpkins (the ones the boys picked were a pretty good size) back onto the wagon to ride back to the farm site. There were also farm animals to see on the ride out and back, so that was a fun part, too.

Meanwhile, Jacob and Patrick walked out to a closer patch & Jacob picked a "white" (very unripe, light green) pumpkin right off the vine. He was very selective and determined with his selection from what I'm told. HE wanted to choose it, HE wanted to pick it up, and HE wanted to carry it all the way back to the farm site. I shouldn't be surprised with my independent little guy. He's very proud of his pumpkin, which now sits on the front porch. It was also cute today that each time we went outside or left the house, he said, "Mom, I'm going to go check on my pumpkin, ok, Mom?" We kept good track of it today and I am wondering if he'll check on it again tomorrow. It's so cute.

After pumpkin selection, the kids played in the straw maze, straw "romp" areas, slides, swingsets & more. I was able to get some pictures, but I'll have to post those later. We ended up with a range of sizes with our four pumpkins & they added up to about 45 pounds. I'm going to have to do some recipe investigation to see what I can make after Halloween! I know I'll roast/toast the seeds and I'll make at least one pumpkin pie - so yummy with the fresh pumpkin. I guess maybe pumpkin bread? I know I've had pumpkin soup before, too, that was good. We'll see!

No comments: