What a wonderful day we had today celebrating Catherine's Baptism. What a faith-filled and fun day for all of us. Fr. Michael Hermes baptized her today and I felt so filled with joy at this occasion. I'll admit I (and Patrick) was a bit tired from the preparations, but it is always so worth it. We are very grateful to be surrounded by many family members to witness this. Patrick and I both very much enjoy Fr. Hermes homilies each and every week. Today I had the extra appreciation of his words at the baptism. With today being the Feast of the Epiphany, he told us how it was such a wonderful day for a baptism. As we recall the story of the Magi aka 3 kings, aka wise men, we can think of how they traveled far and wide to meet Jesus. He spoke of the process of being presented to Jesus and introduced. In this process, we introduce using the name. And as in baptism, we as parents assist with that introduction when we're asked, "What name have you given this child?" And then we proceed through the Rite of Baptism, and in this case, with our little Catherine. Now that she has been introduced, then the process of the relationship can ensue.
Catherine was quite a trooper through the whole process. Each of her brothers took turns holding her throughout Mass as she slept peacefully. Then during the baptism, she did wake up, but didn't make a peep. Even when the water was poured, she just opened her eyes really wide, but never cried. Leah asked why she didn't even cry and I said maybe she knew there wasn't a reason to cry and maybe she was just happy.
After Baptism, we had lunch at home. All the kids had fun playing and the adults seemed to enjoy the visiting as well. The guests included: Grandma Donna & Grandpa Jerry were there (and now back to their house for 2 weeks until the next family Baptism for Blaise), Grandma Sally & Grandpa Dan, Aunt Patty, Uncle Greg, Aunt Stacy, Aunt Barbara & Natalie, Uncle Scott & Katie, Megan, Taylor, Adam, & Hayden, Uncle Robert & Aunt Beth & Mya & Blaise, and family friends and godparents Jason & Kristin Knight with their children Cecelia, Maddox, Audrey, Mary, Veronica, Benedict, Peter, and Lucy. Thanks to all of them for joining us and thanks grandmas & grandpas for the help with preparations. Thanks also to those that were with us in spirit and/or said prayers for us today.
I enjoyed the rest of the day, too, especially when holding her. I could just smell the fragrance of the oil of chrism on her little head and it brought such positive and hopeful thoughts to mind. I'm grateful for the gift of this precious baby Catherine (and all of my children) and look forward to these steps along our family's faith journey.
Pictures to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment