Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ideas for the day: patience, reconsideration of buying in bulk

Oh what a morning. We were off to a pretty good start I would say in that everyone was pretty happy. The kids were playing, and I took a minute to change Leah's diaper. Jacob wanted a granola bar, which are in a box on a reachable shelf in the laundry room. I told him that he could get one. In a moment, he was calling, "Mom, I need help. Mommy, can you help me?" He wasn't frantic or injured, just wanting help. I assured him I would be there soon. I finished with Leah & took the diaper to the trash & stopped to see what Jacob was up to. I could not have predicted what had occurred. He was standing behind the laundry room door basically trapped, but safe. Trapped by what? Well, it somehow happened that the value purchase I made at Costco not too long ago had come back to haunt me! It was a bottle/jug - 4.73 liter bottle/jug - of vegetable oil which some how lost its cap and was now poured out all over my laundry room floor! Yikes! I'm sure he didn't mean for it to happen, but it was still quite the ordeal to handle. I had to get him out without stepping in the 1/4-1/2 inch of oil on the floor, clean it up, and keep everyone else out while doing so. Leah, however, was VERY curious and wanted to come in the room and see what I was up to and/or be held. So, she sat and cried every time I tried to put her further out of the way. Nathaniel responded & helped me get towels & even said, "To the rescue, Mom" when he ran to get more towels for me. I managed to get up all the oil I could (there may still be a bit under the washer & dryer - we have to check on that), mop the floor in there as well as the kitchen floor as there were a few shiny little footprints throughout the kitchen at this point. The next step - laundering the towels! I'm hoping that my process worked well enough to get the towels clean and the washer & dryer oil-free. I washed everything in Dawn 3 times and then ran the washer with Dawn as just an empty load. In retrospect, no complaints, just completely not the morning I expected. I remind myself, though, that worse things could happen! No one was injured or lost and it all worked out okay. Who needs all that oil anyway! Ha, ha.

No comments: