Friday, November 7, 2008

Old Fashioned Lunch

Today was a lunch from my childhood - Leyton wanted a potpie, and Nathaniel & Jacob ate grilled cheese. When I took Leyton's potpie from the freezer, I carved an "L" on the top of it...I remember whenever we ate potpies as kids, we always put our initial on the top crust so we could track whose was whose in the oven. Nathaniel & Jacob decided they wanted grilled cheese, so I made those, which were also a popular lunch choice. Then as they were eating, Leyton told me he likes the potpie crust the best - isn't that a great part?! Then Nathaniel said he also like the crust best (on his sandwich). I just listened to the conversation. Then Nathaniel said, "The crust is good and if you eat it, it helps you be able to whistle." Now that's the other memory from my childhood. I asked Nathaniel how he knew that: "Grandpa told me." Dad always told us that as kids that if we ate the crust of the bread, it would help us whistle. You know, I ate plenty of crust because of this tip, but to this day, I've never been able to whistle. Go figure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes moms and dads tell kids what they were told as kids. Just something to keep passing on.

Love,
Grandma

Anonymous said...

I think we used letters on the pot pies to designate which one was chicken (mine) and which were beef (not mine, for sure!)
Love, Aunt Bethy

Melissa said...

I still can't whistle either but use the same encouragement to my kids.