I have thought about aspects of labor & delivery lately and the reactions received from nurses & doctors during the whole process. It leaves me with just a few questions...
1) When you arrive at the hospital thinking you are in labor, even if you are pretty sure it's the case, it's interesting how calm & unassuming the nurses can be. I guess that has to do with the fact that they have a lot of women come in thinking they are in labor, and some are and I'm sure a large number aren't. So, they can't really let on either way, but just go about their business to find out your particular status. Once they determine that, then the whole attitude seems to change. Like I thought labor was really going on (& it was), but at first the nurse was just kind of like, ok, um, let's check this out & get the monitors on, etc. Then they checked me for the first time & I was 7cm dilated so then they are like, well, ok are you ready to have a baby, because it won't be long.
2) When the whole pushing part is going on, the doctor and nurse were very encouraging. They were saying, "Oh, you're doing a great job, keep going, keep going, etc.; You're almost there..." With that I wonder, do they say that to everyone? Are you really getting closer or do they just say that to keep you motivated? It seemed so positive and I just wondered if that was really 100% sincere, or just a good cheerleader? Granted, my labors have been pretty short, so I guess I was getting things accomplished, but like I said, I just wondered if that was some talk to keep the moms going.
Anyway, random, but things I have thought about in the past week.
No comments:
Post a Comment