Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wonderful Gratitude

So last Friday I had an appointment with a dermatologist. I didn't have anyone lined up to watch the clan, so we took a field trip to KU Med. I was curious how this would pan out with all 4 of them at my 1:00pm appointment (perfectly in the time of Jacob's nap & usually Leah's). On the way there, we listened to their requests for music: Chatahootchie (spelling?) & Tall Tall Trees - Alan Jackson sings these - you can ask the boys & they know what he looks like. Anyway, amidst the music playing, Leyton & Nathaniel were talking a mile a minute & trying to fight for my attention & my answers...they needed a response with each comment to know I was listening, you know, like "Hey Mom?" or "OK, Mom?" or "What is... or Right Mom?". Anyway, I could barely keep up with trying to answer them or to even get through to them to talk one at a time as well as drive sanely. Anyway, I was thinking I was going to have to bow out, but then Leyton said, "Mom, don't I have a lot to say?" I stopped there & admired them & thought how much I love hearing them talk & knowing what they're thinking. I said, "Yes, Leyton, you have a lot of information and I really appreciate you sharing it with me." He said, "Mom, yeah, and curious is like figuring things out (we learn this from Curious George) - I'm curious." I couldn't agree more and am very happy they're curious.

Anyway, we made it to KU, parked in the garage & walked everyone in. I skipped the stroller because I figured the appt. room would be small anyway. So luckily they appt. was pretty much on time. In the room, the doctor pointed to Jacob & asked how old my youngest was. I pointed to Leah who he didn't see & said 2 months. Anyway, I figured they weren't looking forward to having us all in the small room. HOWEVER, the kids were perfect. There was no screaming, no touching everything, no hanging on me, etc. They just sat & watched and didn't make a peep. I just couldn't believe it. I was very grateful.

After that, we went down to the pharmacy to say hi to my coworkers. Everyone was glad to see us. The boys wouldn't say a word. But, we did get some chocolate, so that made them happy. We then went to the satellite pharmacy in the heart hospital where I sometimes staff as well, which is a decent walk for all of us. Anyway, they gladly walked there & then we headed back out to the car. I was just so pleased with how the day went considering in all, we were dealing with the appointment in some fashion & the visit for about 3 hours.

After we were driving home, they boys said (& have also said several times since Friday), "Mom, thank you for taking me to your appointment at Jayhawk Hospital with you. Thank you , Mommy." It was all so special since I had no idea they would feel so privileged to be on this routine type trip with me. It made me feel good that they thought it was so neat to go.

Since Friday, we did an angel craft project at home. Then that night of the project, they told me, "Thank you Mommy for doing the angel project and for taking me with you to Jayhawk Hospital with you. Thank you Mommy." Then yesterday was their "Happy Birthday, Jesus" party at school. They wanted me to come for the party. I hadn't planned on it as Jacob & Leah & I were going to run some errands. But, they asked me to come, so I figured I would. It seemed they were so happy we came. I got some more, "Thank you Mommy for coming to my party at my school" with a big hug multiple times yesterday. Seems it really meant a lot to them - and to me. All these times, it is said with such genuine sincerity I can't help but smile.

They've been very grateful lately and it just makes my heart melt when they make the sweet comments...I'll take them anytime, but sometimes they're really when you need to hear them most.

No comments: