Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Appreciation

An odd couple of days leading up to St. Pat's. I was actually thinking the other day about the ol' festivities at UMR and how St. Pat's in Rolla was during college (and still is for many). I believe some of our friends still attend and it is hard to imagine being there at this point in my life. So, I guess some reminiscing was going on. Then today, I received an email from Doris, our ZTA housemom, and it brought me a new line of thinking about Rolla and where my life has gone since being there during the mid-90's.

Doris emailed to tell the ZTA alums about another UMR alum who passed away today after fighting brain cancer for 12 years. It was really something. His wife, Angie Baer O'Neill, also went to Rolla. I never did know them personally, but I do remember Angie and her pictures are very familiar. However, I cannot imagine the experience they had as a married couple. It really made me take a minute and remind myself of my appreciation for my faith, my family, my life, my friends. Thinking about how Patrick & I met in Rolla, graduated, were married soon after, and the great life we've had since then, it's just amazing how differently things could always go.

I decided to read a bit of the blog describing the life, trials and tribulations of this family and truly have my heart go out to them. A very emotional read even though, as I said, I did not know them personally. Brian was 36, was a husband for approximately 12 years and a father of two little boys, fairly close to the ages of our kids. According to the reading, just one month after they were married, he was diagnosed with brain cancer and basically fought it for the past 12 years. Just reading some of the thoughts and feelings and experiences was almost too much for me. I like to think I always cherish the blessings we have, but as I said, this just made it seem stronger. Thinking about one month after we were married, my biggest issues may have been that I didn't have a washer/dryer or a kitchen table? That's about it; NO BIG PROBLEMS. And still, more than 11 years later, I must still say, NO BIG PROBLEMS. My heart does go out to them during this difficult time.

No comments: